"Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done unto me according to thy will." ~ Luke 1:38

Thursday, July 2, 2015

A Fair Day in 2015

Joining Like Mother, Like Daughter for some pretty, happy, funny and real times...
~ Capturing the context of contentment in everyday life ~

We had a fun day at the fair this year, as we do every year!
This is the same fair my father took my siblings and I when we were children.



{pretty}
I just love the display of egg carriers, and especially the crocheted hens on the table runner.  The Fair has a lot of interesting displays, it is amazing the things people collect!

As a child, I used to play with little crocheted hens similar to the pretty ones pictured below...
crocheted hens
My grandmother crocheted the large hen with a few small chicks and my mother crocheted another set of chicks...I have the surviving remaining three, today.
I believe the set was originally made to cover a tea pot.
I do not let anyone play with them.  :o)

 Hand-made by my grandmother and mother

My children have great memories of the fair, and we look forward to fulfilling our own traditions...like deciding which exhibits we will visit or what we will eat, we all have our MUST dos and favorites.  This year we splurged and I treated the girls to a "find a pearl" in an oyster that you choose - you are guaranteed to find one!

About fifteen years ago, my mother, sister, sils and I took a chance at this oyster search while vacationing in Lahaina, Maui.  The pearl I "chose" remains (besides my wedding ring) my most favorite piece of jewelry .  My pearl was then mounted, surrounded with the birthstones of my oldest two children.  At the time, I was truly hoping to choose an oyster that contained either a black or grey pearl:   Black being the rarest, and grey the third third rarest behind the pink colored pearls.
White pearls are the most common, so I guess it was the perfect match for me!
I love my little 'common' pearl.

Therefore, I was SO excited when we discovered that my Butterfly had chosen an oyster that contained a large black pearl and my Little Lamb a larger grey pearl!

{happy}
"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls" ~ Matthew 13:45
Perfect!  God has shown me that my children are my most precious treasures in so many amazing ways.  I love the way He reminds me!

{funny}
Random things that made me smile with laughter this week.

{real}

Just like that, the Finch Bird family moved out...and just in time for my 4th of July decor to make its appearance.  Although, this year the decorations are sparse and looking worse for wear.  Some of my decorations have been around for decades years.


As I was putting out the July decor, a couple Robins were chirping and flying near my daughter and me...guess why!?

Welcome Robin Bird Family!!!



Visit Like Mother, Like Daughter to find more contentment...

Please continue to pray for our country and do not lose hope or faith...
"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."   ~ Romans 12:2

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  ~ Philippians 4:6-7


St. Elizabeth Seton and St. Kateri Tekakwitha, pray for us!
St. Isaac Jogues and Companions, pray for us!
St. Francis Cabrini, pray for us!
Have a blessed and safe Independence Day!
"So if the Son makes you free you will be free indeed"  ~ John 8:36



2 comments:

  1. Wonderful traditions and heirlooms! Keeping traditions is so worth the time and effort because it's the only way we can keep family bonds across generations. Lovely, pearl-y surprises you have there, too -- potential heirlooms to keep and treasure. I admire the way you live out your patriotism. Thanks for sharing so much in this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about keeping family bonds across generation via traditions! What a lovely thought and inspiration - thank you!
      So glad you stopped by for a visit. God bless!

      Delete

Have a thought? Share it here...