"Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done unto me according to thy will." ~ Luke 1:38

Monday, June 3, 2013

~ Things I Did Today... ~

Sometimes I feel that I'm just running around in circles...not accomplishing what I NEED to do.  I  tackle things as they come at me...then at the end of the day, I'm exhausted.

When I was working, outside of the house, I used to write out my list of things to do for the day, or month.

Actually, I continued this practice of writing down my 'list' until just about 4 or 5 years ago.  Occasionally, I would would start this practice up again, but it wouldn't be long before it just petered out.

Writing my list kept me, I felt, from wasting time.  I was able to accomplish so much...I could see all my progress as I would check off all the items on my list.  What I didn't finish, I would transfer to the new day.  But it made me feel "in control".  I knew I wasn't missing anything.

Lately, I've been "dropping the ball".  Which is not a good feeling for me. 
Overwhelmed.  That is what I start to feel if things are not getting done...

So I've decided to start a list again, ONLY this time, I'm going to include one for my children...why should I have all the fun!?

One morning, I took out my pad and wrote down all the things I had just accomplished or Things I Did Today!


Morning Prayer
Make my son's lunch
Drop son off at Math tutor
Read a few Blogs & write a few comments
Let dogs out, feed, walk...
Clean up dog area (usually the kids do this job as well as care for all the animals, but I gave them a break)
Sweep up leaves/rose pedals
Pull some weeds
2 loads of laundry
Sweep porch & decks
Water plants
Make oatmeal for girls
Bring in Birthday decorations
Load & start dishwasher
Start school...
ALL BY 8:30AM




For myself, I'd really like to use Marcia's idea to "Jot It Down!"...a practice that will help me when I start to get too busy, pulled in too many directions, or just plain distracted (I do tend to procrastinate).
"This gave me the idea to make a list for my children.  A pre-written check off list of what I want need them to accomplish...EVERY DAY.  Weekend's excluded (or not).

I'm looking at it as a Life Skills lesson.  Something that will help them with organization, and take some of the stress out of my our lives.  I've tried a Chore Board in the past.  Now I'm ready to try something new.  Something that will work for the every changing and growing family...



6 comments:

  1. Your days are a lot like mine.
    I have to make lists to keep myself on track. My favorite thing is to cross off a completed task. :)
    Hope you have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I, too, love to cross off completed tasks...such a great feeling! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean about too many things to do and not enough time to do them.

    I used to write a list down, but often I lost it. Or in a hurry I mis-read it. I once delivered the children to the vet and the cat to school.

    I also used to tie a knot in my handkerchief to remember things. I then discovered the knot but could not remember what it was there for.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might say you tried to blow your nose with a knot in it...which is worse?, not remembering or the other?
      Have a wonderful day, Victor!

      Delete
  4. I am liking the idea of writing the things I have done versus the things that I have to do! There are days when we just need some affirmation that we can keep up somehow...

    Aw (blush), thanks for letting me know that that post was useful to you. Let's continue comparing notes and being in cyberspace for each other :-)

    Blessings and have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still refer to your posts for guidance and ideas, Marcia. Thank you for taking the time to post and share.

      Delete

Have a thought? Share it here...