"Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done unto me according to thy will." ~ Luke 1:38

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

~ Labor of Love ~

Pope John Paul II Rose
One of my favorite things to do is to be in my garden, to work in my garden - I don't even mind pulling weeds.  Honostly.

Pulling weeds is actually very therapeutic.  I'm removing something potentially harmful from something that I care about and love and want to make sure that it (my garden) grows and thrives and becomes the best and most beautiful that it can be...
 

Similarily, keeping potentially harmful things away from our children, teaching them to recognize things that are not so good, things that can limit them, things that may bring them distress - pulling weeds is a constant battle.

 You have to be diligent, attentive, persistant.  You need to have PERSEVERANCE (good tools are helpful as well).

I guess weeds can even be a little helpful, in some odd ways.  For instance, when I pull up a weed, the ground beneath is moist & workable (because it's been stealing the water from the plants nearby).  Now your ready to use the ground for good.
There are plenty of "weeds" in the world - giving us the opportunity to teach our children virtues, allowing them to see and discern right from wrong, good from bad, recognizing dangers, temptations, evils...The tools of prayer & the sacraments are essential.                                       " I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them that are evil, and thou hast tried them, who say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars"  ~ Revelation 2:2
Gardening takes WORK - But the benefits are beautiful...and soooo worth it.

When the blooms come, you know all your hard work has paid off.  Now you can sit and enjoy the work of love...

"For God is not unjust, that he should forget your work, and the love which you have shewn in his name, you who have ministered, and do minister to the saints."   ~ Hebrews 6:10

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful garden! What are those last flowers? I used to know but have been forgetting the names of flowers that I can't find here in Mexico. I think they would do well at our family compound in Mendocino though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The purple flowers are wisteria; they have not quite opened fully so they don't have the typical wisteria look.
      They really grow well here. I think I trim them every other day. :o) Well, every few weeks I have to cut back their vines. I think you are right, they should do quite well in the Mendocino area!

      Delete

Have a thought? Share it here...