"Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done unto me according to thy will." ~ Luke 1:38

Thursday, August 29, 2013

~ pretty, happy, funny, real ~ Summer Family Car Trip August 2013

~ Capturing the context of contentment in everyday life ~
Every Thursday at Like Mother, Like Daughter
and linking up to Catholic Bloggers Network
Visiting the California Missions and Colleges and everything in between!
Treasures we picked up along the way...
others will be revealed until Christmas!
When my husband and I were first married, over 23 years ago, we drove to all the California Missions up and down the El Camino Real.
We bought a book about the Missions, read up on each one, and drove...
We have a lot of memories and fun stories that we try and remember to share with our children.  We were SO excited to plan our recent trip to visit several colleges and Missions, as well as some fun amusement & theme parks and museum.  Actually, Butterfly mapped out our entire route and printed out a package for us to follow!  I just love industrious teens!
  (thank you, sweetie! xo)
{pretty}
Across the street from San Juan Bautista Mission


 The skies were so very {pretty}!

As were all the Missions and the art, statues and religious artifacts within the church walls...
Inside the Mission San Miguel Archangel


We had a very knowledgeable tour guide take our family through the San Juan Bautista Mission - it was awesome!

This was not a Mission, but one of the several colleges that we toured...we were excited to celebrate the Holy Mass in the chapel.


{happy}


Ronald Reagan Museum
This family trip had something for everyone...everyone was {happy}!



These wine barrels were neither in the CA Missions or Colleges (well, I'm sure you might find a keg or two of some kind of spirit in one or two frat houses). 
Disneyland.  Surprise, surprise!






(Mom & Dad) enjoy a glass of wine as we watch the parade passing by...this may be why they call it "the happiest place on earth". 





We jumped over to California Adventure and headed over to Paradise Pier...California Screamin' was the name of this ride:

They take a picture of you as you are screaming your head off...Butterfly just smiled sweetly. 



{funny}

Door within a door at San Juan Bautista Mission














This is not a mouse house...on the contrary, it is a cat door!  Cute and {funny}.
Personal favorite of mine  :o)

Another favorite  :D
Liquid Bread...from our monks!
After we checked into our hotel, we took a walk...we had dinner at an old friend's...KARL.
Karl Strauss.  We went for the burgers & fries. 

When mama is happy, everybody is happy!


Up next, Universal Studios.
This qualifies as {happy}, too:
  and this:
 Do not be fooled, this was my after lunch appetizer. 


Met this {funny} lady:
Lucy...I'm home!


{real}


Conductor admiring and taking pictures of traditional vestments
Mom trying to slyly take a picture of him, taking a picture...

The Fantasmic show was pretty impressive...although I could not get any good shots

All the Disney characters on the Mark Twain
One of the best pyro techy shows, ever.  {real} entertaining.
Go to Like Mother, Like Daughter to find more contentment...









11 comments:

  1. Looks like a good time was had by all. :) I particularly love the picture of the Ronald Reagan Museum. I would love to visit there, with, of course, my daughter Reagan. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We highly recommend the Reagan Museum if you ever get the opportunity...we plan to go back! What an excellent name your daughter has!! :o)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely holiday. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Great photos.

    God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting...

      I'm going to have to order another one of your books, Victor (On second thought, I would like one to keep for myself!). Thank you for your wonderful writing and humorous style!

      Delete
    2. You are so kind and generous Hand-Maid. Thank you. I appreciate and I am very grateful for your support and encouragement.

      It's great to read on my Blog that you produced a film for your church. You're very talented and obviously have a lot of patience. I could not have the patience to look out for the many minor details involved in making a film. Years ago, I used to present radio programs, including Christian ones. Mine were live shows rather than pre-recorded and well edited programs. No patience, as I said. I have responded to your comment on my Blog and linked to a short excert of one of my radio programs. I hope you like it.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Hand-Maid for visiting my post "Victor on the radio" and for your kind comments there to which I have responded. I have taken on your suggestion and have now put together an archive of my previous recordings. See tab entitled Reflections Soundtracks at the top of the Blog.

      God bless.

      Delete
    4. This is wonderful, Victor! I am reminded of the parable of the lamp...Now the lighted lamp is out and shining for His glory. I cannot wait to sit around a cozy fire (although hard to imagine in this 90 degree CA weather) with my children this Autumn and listen to some Reflections...thank you for sharing with Everyone!
      http://www.timeforreflections.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  3. I just found your blog from {phfr} and was so excited to read about your trip! I LOVE the California missions, although we haven't been to all of them. I'm from "Alta" California (our grandkids are 7th generation Californians) although we now live in Baja California Sur, but of course it was all one territory a couple of hundred years ago.

    San Juan Bautista is probably my favorite mission (and lovely little town surrounding it), although Carmel and Santa Barbara missions are also wonderful, and actively used as parish churches. Have you been to Mission Dolores in SF? Beautiful painted ceiling (by the native americans) & lovely cemetery.

    I'm going to go back and read through your posts from the beginning and hope you'll email me sometime at bajamanna (at) gmail (dot) com - I think we may have a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Anna! I, too, LOVE the missions. I have lived in CA all my life and have never really thoughtfully appreciated them until my early twenties - when I met and married my husband. I want to share with my children the wonderful blessing we have here in our state (and nearby cities).
    The Upper California history is so interesting...funny I do not remember studying it in school, but now my children are learning (and me right along side them). Glad to meet another "native Californian". And I'm impressed with your 7th generation grandchildren! I can only boast a mere 3rd generation.
    I have been to the beautiful Mission Dolores and plan to take my children there for a back to school "field trip".
    Thank you for visiting and I will email you soon.

    ReplyDelete

Have a thought? Share it here...