"Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done unto me according to thy will." ~ Luke 1:38

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

~ Back to School - Fall 2013 ~ {phfr} style



~ Capturing the context of contentment in everyday life ~

Every Thursday at Like Mother, Like Daughter

The ABCs of school...

Academics!

We have always started our academic year on or near the Feast of the Nativity of Mary (right after Labor Day).  It seems that everyone began weeks before us...I was starting to feel a bit late.
But, to tell you the truth, I was glad to have the extra days to plan and organize and even borrow fun ideas from other moms, like here and here.

Books!

I believe,  that for every home school family, this sight is cause to be euphoric!

{pretty} sight
Oh what a pretty sight!

The Books have arrived!!!! 

The Classics



Curriculum!

This year we are using a few more online courses and my children are loving it!  (and so am I). 


A Classical Curriculum
Biology with Lab, Chemistry with Lab, HS Latin I & II, Theology, Vocab. & Writing...

This is an exciting year for us!  Technology has taken designing our own classical curriculum to a new level!

{happy} heart
Books that make a heart happy!


We found these little treasures after visiting a few antique shops...The prices were not as good as our library or church book sales, but they were a steal nonetheless.

{funny}
credit:  Victor S E Moubarak

Victor S E Moubarak falls under {funny}; Why? 

Because he writes very funny posts.  If you would like to smile, laugh or ponder Godly thoughts, a quick visit to TIME FOR REFLECTIONS will not disappoint. 

He is the author of several books, including the captivating book "Visions"; perhaps you have read it?   Victor's latest book "More Time for Reflections" is now available, which you can download for FREE!  Or, for a nominal fee, receive it via Kindle.

But WAIT!  There's more...you can now listen to Victor's vintage radio program recordings entitled Reflections Soundtracks.  We plan to play a program during our afternoon school year teas...great discussion starters for our family talks!   Especially because both my teens are studying (more) theology.

You can read more about the author, here.  Have fun!

{real} busy



I am still organizing for our school year!!!


Books ordered.  check!

Classes scheduled.  check!

Back to School supply shopping.  check!

Organizing book shelves, desk area, learning room...


I will right be back!

 
 

This year will be slightly different...
 
...to be continued.

Go to Like Mother, Like Daughter to find more contentment... 
round button chicken
 
 







4 comments:

  1. Oh Hand-Maid you are so very kind and generous. Thank you so much for mentioning me here and for all the links to my website. Your support and encouragement are greatly appreciated. If what I write brings a smile to someone, or brings them a little closer to Our Lord, then it makes me very happy.

    I note you are teaching your children Shakespeare. I always found that very difficult. For some reason I preferred Chaucer in the original language.

    Is this website of any use to you? http://www.abcya.com/

    God bless you and your family. Thanx once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Victor. Thank you for the educational website...I was looking for a fun way to show my 4th grader to type - and, behold, there was my answer!

      OK. Shakespeare & Chaucer, I believe, are both difficult. Our Home School Curriculum recommends Shakespeare (maybe because the language of Shakespeare is in Modern English? I dunno.) But we do read Chaucer as well...I have a wonderful vintage copy of The Poetical Works of Geoffrey Chaucer. Which I keep in a my most very special bookcase...where little hands cannot touch. What I love most about the book (besides its aged, yellowed and fragile pages) is the wonderful and helpful glossary in the back of the book!
      "Unto the castel, of the which I tolde,
      And asketh wher his wyf and his child ys..."
      Huh!? (my reply, not Chaucer's)

      Although, I did study Shakespeare when I was in High School, I am very thankfully that the Academy has sent me a Teacher's Book/Study Guide to help direct me through the readings.

      And The Cantebury Tales are enjoyable stories, despite my ignorance.

      God bless you and your family, Victor!

      Delete
    2. I like your Chaucer speak! Did you know he is buried in Poets' Corner in Westminster Abbey London? I visited there years ago. I read all the Canterbury Tales for my studies. We also studied French literature, (Moliere, Racine, Voltaire, Camus) and Italian (Goldoni and others I can't even remember.)

      Now all that brings back memories.

      God bless you and yours Hand-Maid.

      Delete
    3. Fascinating! I did not know! I need to incorporate these types of facts into my children's studies...

      Delete

Have a thought? Share it here...