"Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done unto me according to thy will." ~ Luke 1:38

Friday, November 29, 2013

~ Back-Blogged: A Thankful for...Edition ~

With Thanksgiving just behind us, I'm reflecting on the small blessings of life...

Our olive trees gave a bit more than last years harvest.


Our Myers lemon tree just keeps on giving, which allows me to give to others.



The giving tree.  Fresh lemons are expensive...I'm thankful for this tree.


Our new orange tree is now producing lots of delicious fruit.
Thankful for the warm California sun...


I'm thankful for our bishop and his work in our diocese...and the honor of having him to dinner at our home with my family.




Altar Boy Training.  Noon.  My son is leading the boys in the Angelus.

Lunch follows shortly...I'm thankful for hot ('n ready) pizza to help me feed the troops.

Teen Talks.  I began these Teen Talks last year with our first talk on the Cristeros.  A few times a year speakers come to our parish and give a talk to our youth.  Big Blessings...

I'm calling this my mid-centennial extravaganza celebration...

Sweet (& bubbly) gift from my dh,
beautiful floral bouquet,
complete with love note (on fancy paper) :o)

  Five-Oh!
 

 
I am thankful for my Husband, my children and most of all,
His Love.
 

 We give you thanks, Almighty God, for all Your benefits, who live and reign, world without end. Amen. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.
   (GRACE AFTER MEALS)

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that you told the teens about the Cristeros. It's such a significant story, so close to home, so little known. Lovely 50th pic of you, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Anna, the Cristeros is a significant story, SO close to home, so little known...You Said It !!! With our rights slowly being taken away, we can learn from this history. God have mercy on us!

      I hope to do a post on this soon. The gentleman that speaks nationally and internationally on this subject is a good friend of mine. He has done years and years of research and gives a compelling and riveting PowerPoint presentation.

      God bless and I hope you and your husband and family had a blessed Thanksgiving...

      Delete
  2. Wow you're so lucky to have olives, oranges and lemons. Here it's too cold for such fruits. We have a small ornamental olive and orange tree (indoors) - about 1 foot high. We've tried figs (indoors) with some success. Outdoors we get a good crop of strawberries, red and black berries and black currants. But no grapes, just lots of leaves. Great for making stuffed vine leaves.

    God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am intrigued about your indoor trees!!! I came up with an idea similar to this...but with fresh herbs (as mine often fail because of the extreme temps. The frost here can do a lot of damage...different than snow).

      I LOVE FIGS. How I wish I could have a fig tree...

      Although I have tasted some delicious stuffed vine leaves before, I've never attempted to cook any. I wouldn't know how. They are lovely looking, great presentation and tasty...the perfect combination!
      Do you have a favorite recipe that you could perhaps share?

      I hope you and your family are well, Victor. You remain in my prayers.

      Delete
  3. We have a glass conservatory at the back and we have a couple of fig trees in pots. With the trapped heat they often have fruits. Outdoors we only get leaves which are only of use to Adam and Eve!

    Thank you so much for your much needed prayers. Praying for you all. God bless.

    Here are some recipes which I hope you'll like.

    http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/mediterranean/greek/dolmades-stuffed-vine-leaves.html

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/dd_82134

    http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/vegetarian/dolmades-recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the recipe links! I will have to check them out and hopefully try and cook some stuffed vine leaves.
      A glass conservatory sounds lovely! I'm going to keep an eye out for fig trees in my local nursery - growing up my grandfather had a Mission Fig tree. Good, sweet memories.

      God bless and thank you for the prayers!

      Delete
    2. To keep my fig trees producing fruit I make sure they don't grow more than 3 feet or so. It gets quite warm in the conservatory in summer; even on gray days.

      I have found ready made vine leaves in shops here and also on AMAZON.

      http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/177-5431611-4700119?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=stuffed+vine+leaves

      I have responded to your comment what? on my blog.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete

Have a thought? Share it here...