"Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done unto me according to thy will." ~ Luke 1:38

Thursday, November 7, 2013

{pretty, happy, funny, real} Guest Room Edition

~ Capturing the context of contentment in everyday life ~
Every Thursday at Like Mother, Like Daughter
 and
Joining Catholic Bloggers Networks ~ Monthly Link Up Blitz
{Family Journal}
 
{pretty}
Hospitality.
 
 
Having my guests feel at home...
Treating my guests with warmth...
 
surrounding them with loveliness...
 
 
finding the perfect setting, in simplicity...
where peace can be found.
 
Using what I have, or sharing things that were given to me...
 
 Making my guests feel welcome...that's Hospitality.
The perfect nook to read a book.
 
 
{happy}
 
A visit to a book sale at my local library...happy!
There is no question, we hit the MOTHER LODE.  I could hardly contain myself as I scooped up all these beauties.  And among all my new found treasures was my very favorite, in rare vintage, preserved so well...

Someone had gifted it, Christmas 1900.  1900! 

We came home with bags and bags of lovely vintage books.  Oh yes, HAPPY.

More, happy.
Some vintage, some not.  All make me happy.
 
 
{funny}
HEAVEN or HELL?
 
A converted Corn Hole game...throwing the seven deadly sins into HELL.

And then there is the HEAVENLY game of Halos on the Saints...

 A lot of creative parents; the children had lots of fun!
Of course, the Saints Jars were also played...

 
{real}
 
Butterfly shared a prayer card that she found while cleaning out her closet.
On one side is a picture of All Saints in Heaven.
On the other side of the card, reads:
 
SURPRISE IN HEAVEN
 
I dreamt death came, the other night
 
And Heaven's gate swung wide,
An Angel with halo bright
Ushered me inside.
 
And there!  To my astonishment.
Stood folks I'd judged and labeled;
As "quite unfit", "of little worth";
And "spiritually disabled".
 
Indignant words rose to my lips,
But never were set free,
For every face showed stunned surprise ---
 
Not one expected ME!
 
Speaking of saints...my children and I were privileged to view and venerate 165 relics through Treasures of the Church. 

What are relics?  Read about it, here.

I will share this one picture:
A Fragment of Mary's Veil
De Velo (from the Veil)

OK, this one too:

Which other relics did we see?

All of these, here.

What a perfect experience, so close to All Saints Feast Day.
 
Go to Like Mother Like Daughter to find more contentment...

and
visit Catholic Bloggers Networks ~ Monthly Link Up Blitz
{Family Journal}

9 comments:

  1. I wouldn't mind at all being a guest in that room. So pretty! I have that exact lamp shade with the beads on a little lamp on my kitchen counter. How funny!

    All those lovely vintage books! I hardly ever find treasures like that at our library sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my children were younger they used to play with those beads and I would always have to chase them away...glad they survived those years.
      Ahh, those books were a windfall. More often I come away empty handed.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I hadn't heard of the Treasures of the Church - is it a traveling exhibit? Where did you see it - at the cathedral? I think I'd be completely overwhelmed with so many relics to look at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna! You can request them to come to your parish. Here is the link: http://www.treasuresofthechurch.com/request-an-exposition

      The exposition happened to be in the SF Bay Area, so I asked my pastor if we could host, too, and he set it up! Yesterday was the last day in CA; the relics are on their way to Michigan.
      It was an amazing experience. Fr. Martins gave a wonderful and informative presentation before we viewed the relics. You can pick up and touch most of them. Several you are not allowed to pick up, but you can touch them. You can also bring sacramental articles or pictures of your loved ones to touch. Fr. Martin explains all that very well.

      Delete
  3. What a fantasttic post !!! The guest room is just exquisite and so welcoming. And the card with the poem about Heaven. Did your child write it? How very talented. And the photos about the Treasures of the Church.

    Thank you so much Hand-Maid for taking the time to write this post and take all those photos to share with your readers. You're very generous.

    God bless you and your family always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all your kind words and encouragement, Victor.
    My daughter did not write the poem. I thought the poem was very sobering; causing me to look at myself from another's perspective.

    The Treasures of the Church were awesome! I think I took over 50 pictures, probably more. I tend to go overboard, especially with the digital. (Capture now, delete later- although, it all just becomes too time consuming). Better to just live the moment; I'm working on that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots you shared in this post, Valerie. Thank you!

    Venerating relics can be such an overwhelming experience of renewal. I'm glad you had the opportunity, and even shared beautiful photos here.

    I must say again that your blog is an excellent go-to for liturgical living activities! I should be taking down notes!

    I don't know if I will ever be able to work up such a welcoming, warm, and cozy guest room, but yours will always be my inspiration :-)

    Those books will surely be treasures you can pass on to the next generations!

    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind, Marcia. I am so glad I can share something you find useful - ad majorem Dei gloriam

      I am happy how my guest room (finally) turned out...I can now spend the next couple years working on the master bedroom...but I don't know, it is my catch all, storage, laundry dump, work pile keeper,...it will be my inspiration, too. :o)

      Marcia, I was saddened to hear about the deadly typhoon in the Philippines. My prayers go out to all those effected by this disaster.

      I am so glad you visited my blog; God bless you and your family!

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for the Holy Mass and your prayers. I'm very grateful.

    God bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

Have a thought? Share it here...