"Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done unto me according to thy will." ~ Luke 1:38

Thursday, March 20, 2014

~ St. Patrick's Feast Day ~

Feast Day:  March 17th
St. Patrick's Feast Day at the Hand-Maid Household 2014

Captured by Irish raiders and sold as a slave in Ireland at the age of sixteen.  During his captivity, he had a spiritual conversion...
What a perfect saint story to meditate upon during this Lenten season as we strive for our own spiritual conversion.

St. Patrick certainly lived an extraordinary life, doing much to win souls for Christ.

To read his full story, visit here.

So how did we celebrate St. Patrick's Feast Day?

Well, St. Patrick's Day celebration is not complete without the traditional visit to the Fire-station to have the firemen serve us green pancakes (plus eggs, bacon & juice).  So, on Sunday we visited the Firehouse as we have for the past 12 years.  Everyone looks forward to this event.  I'm so glad the kids haven't tired of it...


Fancy centerpiece decorations:  Fire hose nozzles and boots with balloons attached.
Irish music playing in the background.  It's fun to sit inside the fire station and eat green pancakes.
Don't Forget:



For lunch, we thought we would celebrate St. Patrick's Feast Day by making Reuben (or as we call them, Faux Ruben) sandwiches, with a slight tweak...instead of Swiss cheese, we used pepper-jack.





After dinner, we enjoyed mint ice cream with brownie bits (I added a splash of Carolans Irish Cream on mine).  Little Lamb made some shamrock jigglers and helped to decorate a few festive drinking glasses.


My sister sharing a quick pic of St. Patrick festivities
from her neck of the woods.
We celebrate some feast days a lot differently these days...not a lot of crafts and activities.  It is mostly with special foods and decor and reading.  We really do enjoy celebrating the Church's calendar and feasts.  Everyday is a feast day...

"Christ shield me this day:  Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ when I lie down, Christ when I arise, Christ in the heart of every person who thinks of me, Christ in the eye that sees me, Christ in the ear that hears me"  ~ Quote from The Breastplate of St. Patrick

The Breastplate of St. Patrick full version quote here.




Again, St. Patrick certainly lived an extraordinary life, doing much to win souls for Christ.

To read his full story, visit here.


Family Journal
~ March ~





5 comments:

  1. Thank you Hand-Maid for the St Patrick links - and the photos .... especially the food photos.

    You know, it is best to visit your blog before meals. It's good for the appetite.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful celebration! It looks like you all had a lot of fun. Enjoyed the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting, Jen!
      Blessings.

      Delete
  3. This is a complete lesson on foreign cultures that I can use with my children; thanks for sharing! Since we are past Saint Patrick's feast day, this should go well with a country study featuring Ireland...

    As always, I am blessed by your liturgical living examples :-)

    ReplyDelete

Have a thought? Share it here...