"Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done unto me according to thy will." ~ Luke 1:38

Sunday, March 16, 2014

~ Spring has Sprung: phfr style ~

Linking up to Like Mother, Like Daughter to share some pretty, happy, funny and real times...

Although we are only in our second week of Lent, we are experiencing some 'Easter' type phenomenon.  Small and beautiful miracles.  We have had a little rain, but we are still in need of much more rain.  Nevertheless, things continue to grow around here in sunny California.

{pretty}

Pretty Before:
~ February ~


Pretty After:


~ March ~ 
All the caterpillars formed their chrysalis' ...

...and then, after some days, became these beautiful butterflies.  
Once their wings dried, they were ready to be set free...
Sunning their wings before flight

For years we have talked about raising chickens.  Having fresh eggs for a morning omelet or to bake some delicious fresh bread just sounds so wonderful to me.

But I put it off for years, because with chickens, come work.  And clean up.  And mess. And...cute little adorable fluffy chick chicks...that chirp so sweetly.  And...they like to fall asleep in the palm of your hand.  


{happy}

We finally built a chicken coop as Little Lamb (and Conductor) convinced my husband and me that they would responsibly take care of these little creatures; (soon to turn big, turd-producing, garden scratching, noisy birds) -and that will lay me fresh eggs for my omelet and fresh baked breads...

{real}

After only a few days, these cute little creatures have shown exponential growth.  Already feathers have formed on their wings.  Amazing!



They have a heat lamp that stays on 24/7 and they eat lots of chick feed and drink lots of fresh water and need to have their bedding changed frequently, too.  

They know Little Lamb and immediately start to chirp when she comes around...they are very friendly and like to be held.  (I'm not sure if this is a good thing, or a bad thing, but either way - I have one happy little girl).


 {real}


Around the garden in early March

Go to Like Mother, Like Daughter to find more contentment...

4 comments:

  1. Those chicks are so lovely. How many do you have?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have 3 Pullets and 2 Red Pullets, for a total of five chicks.

      They really are sweet little things and seem so tame and mild mannered. I was expecting them to be wild and try to flee. Maybe once they grow older and are in their coop. And I can't believe how fast they grow!

      Thank you for stopping by, Victor. God bless.

      Delete
  2. We had a "chicken stage" as young children :-). These days, my children have their hands full with a dog and a cat that don't get along!

    Great spring adventures you guys are enjoying! Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember having a hen for a short while growing up, too. I also recall accidentally stepping on a chick as I was moving the mother hen from one area to another...the baby chick was tucked under her mama's wing. :o( I was horrified.
      So far, so good, as I let my daughter tend to the chicks...I look forward to some fresh eggs!

      Delete

Have a thought? Share it here...