"Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done unto me according to thy will." ~ Luke 1:38

Thursday, March 6, 2014

~ LIVING LENT, LOVING LENT: 2014 Link-Up ~

This is a re-post for quick ideas to Keep some Love in Lent

Living Lent, Loving Lent
That is what I say...

 Keep Love in Lent 2014
“I’m participating in the Keep LOVE in LENT Blog Link-Up 2014, hosted by the Catholic Bloggers Network,
We’ll be sharing different ways, tips, stories and real-life experiences that will help us focus on  Lenten sacrifices, prayer and good deeds
 and how to carry them out with LOVE instead of a GRUMBLE.
  Please visit any of these 6 hosts, to link your own Keep LOVE in LENT blog post!



I love our Lenten traditions and I am always looking for new ideas that keep our spiritual life moving towards sanctity.
My last years post can be found HERE, which covers:
+ LENTEN FASTING
+ LENTEN ALMSGIVING
+ LENTEN PRAYER & READING
and a + LIST OF GIVE UPS FOR LENT

I felt as if I did not have much time to savor the Ordinary Time season, although many wonderful activities were lived and enjoyed.  And while praying and searching for those few NEW ideas, I saw Lena's post over at Joy{filled Family}.  The Lent Calendar that she shares can be printed in three colors; but it was the Lenten Program Printable that really made me excited to try...the checklist format appeals to me in our particular 'family phase'.

PRAYER + FASTING + ALMS GIVING
 ~ LENTEN FASTING ~

There are certain things that I hope to do during this Lent:


Keep things Simple.   This includes (or excludes as appropriate):
+ prayers
+ devotions
+ meals
+ environment
+ activities
+ projects
+ goals
Spend more time Reading with my family.
Attend my Parish Lenten Retreat
Attend some part of my parish's 40 Hour Devotion
Participate in the LENT MEME over at Time For Reflections




I will personally be reading:
+ The Sacred Passion.  Luis De La Palma (Scepter)
+ Imitation of Christ - Thomas Kempis (H.M. Caldwell Co., Publishers. New York & Boston)


This year, I have asked my children to pick between 2 - 4 books to read during Lent. 

Little Lamb (Fourth Grade) chose the following:
+ The Re-Found Veronica - Story of the Holy Face - Friar Carmine Cucinelli (Rector of the Basilica of the Holy Face of Manoppello {This was a Christmas gift from to our daughter, from which we brought home from our Rome pilgrimage in June 2013).  I will have to share some of the illustrations as the pencils & Colours are magnificent and beautifully done!
+ The Purples are Coming! - Ilow & Sheri Roque (Rock House Press)
+ A Book of Gratitude  5-2 (Seton Press)
+ This Is Our Family 1-2 (Seton Press)
+ The Story Tree 3-3 (Seton Press)
+ A Book of Friendliness - A Collection of the Prose & Poetry Which Has Helped to Better the World - Sister Mary Charlotte, R.S.M.; Sister Mary Brendan, R.S.M; Mary Synon 8-2 (Ginn & Co)


Butterfly (Ninth Grade) chose:
+ The Sacred Passion  Luis De La Palma (Scepter)
+ Divine Mercy in My Soul - St. Maria Faustina Kowalska Diary  (Marian Press)
+ Daily Meditations with the Holy Spirit - Minute Meditations for Every Day Containing a Scripture Reading, A Reflection, and a Prayer - Rev. Jude Winkler, OFM Conv.  (Catholic Book Publishing)
+ Holy Bible - RSV - Catholic Edition (Ignatius)


Conductor (Tenth Grade) chose:
+ The Young Man's Guide - Counsels, Reflections and Prayers for Catholic Young Men - Rev. F.X. Lasance (Benziger Brothers, Inc.)
+ TBD

Here are two videos that would be appropriate for Lent (the 'I Was There' dvd is geared towards middle school and up; 'The Miracle Maker' is appropriate for younger children...although there is a short part in the very beginning where a demon is cast out of a women, which is kinda creepy for littles).
+ The Miracle Maker (Family Home Entertainment)
+ I Was There (EWTN series)


On the Menu for Friday:










6 comments:

  1. Sounds like everyone has a good Lenten focus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are certainly trying...
      Thank you for stopping by, Michelle. Have a blessed Lenten season.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your post, your first photo really jumped out at me and is precious.
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peggy. That picture was taken at a recent Youth Retreat my son & daughter attended. I think it's precious, too.
      God bless you!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful copy of "Imitation of Christ"!

    As always, you have all aspects of family living covered as we turn to another phase of the liturgical year. Everything in this post is well-thought out and very inspiring!

    I think I will also ask my children to choose their Lenten reading. It's not too late...

    Blessings to you and your family. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the copy of Imitation of Christ at our last Library Book Sale for $1. It is dated '1900'!
      When I picked it up, I almost screamed with delight. It took everything I had not to come out of my skin...my best find, ever. I love my copy - which is worn with love, but the 1900 copy is one of a kind.

      Yes, it is not too late for your children to choose their Lenten reading. I need to remind 2 of my children about their choices...

      Delete

Have a thought? Share it here...