"Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done unto me according to thy will." ~ Luke 1:38

Sunday, January 3, 2016

I have had an Epiphany!


Truly.  A celebration to acknowledge the Three Magi and their journey to visit and adore the infant Christ Child.  With them, they brought gifts of Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh.



Three wise men from the East, named Balthasar, Gaspar and Melchoir.

I used our playmobil Three Wise Men for our Epiphany display.  Two years ago we used them for the Wise Men Journey - that was FUN!

"Saying, Where is he that is born king of the Jews?  For we have seen his star in the east, and are come to adore him."  ~ Matthew 2:2




"Who having heard the king, went their way; and behold the star which they had seen in the east, went before them, until it came and stood over where the child was."  ~ Matthew 2:9


We celebrate this journey because, like the Magi, we follow the path towards our dear Christ Child.

Tonight we will bake a Gingerbread loaf and top with candied Three Wise Men using chocolate molds.


While reflecting on the "celebration" and meaning of the Feast of the Epiphany, it became clear how and why I should continue the tradition of a New Year's resolution.

Blessing of the Home is a tradition we have kept for many years.

This year our parish priest blessed chalk and gave out a prayer card along with the chalk.  Brilliant!


The Magi were told, in their sleep, not to return to Herod.  Therefore, the Magi returned home via another route or path, thus avoiding Herod (the very bad and evil king).  How appropriate that we should take this time to turn away from bad, avoiding those things that cause us to fall into sin.  Using the New Year to resolve to do better, to do good, to make improvements and make a change for the better.

Here are a few of my resolutions, or my gifts, to the Christ Child:

Year of Mercy Reading:  Magnificat Year of Mercy Companion
Year of Mercy Action:  "...and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us..."
Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy:

Corporal Works:
feed the hungry
give drink to the thirsty
clothe the naked
shelter the homeless
visit the sick
visit the imprisoned
bury the dead



Spiritual Works:

counsel the doubtful
instruct the ignorant
admonish sinners
comfort the afflicted
forgive offenses
bear wrongs patiently
pray for the living and the dead


Prioritize & Organize:  Carrying over from last year's "word", I will continue to strive to prioritize those blessings that I have been entrusted:  My family.
I will continue to keep an organized household and work space.

Notice how I say "I will continue to strive", the work is never ending and yes, there may be times when I fail...but I must continue to try (over and over again).

Health & Well-Being:  Yes, every New Year thousands (millions?) of well intentioned individuals promise to begin exercising, eating healthier, taking better care of themselves...and I say "BRAVO"!

"Hardships often prepare ordinary people, for an extraordinary destiny..."  
~ C.S. Lewis

While listening to the radio on my drive home (from dropping my children off at the ice skating rink), several naysayers were expressing negative and pessimistic views regarding those promising to start off the new year by exercising or seeking to live a healthier lifestyle.  It was depressing.  But after the segment ended, the radio personality threw in a little opinion of his own, saying: just try, because you never know, you may succeed, right!?

"Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will."

That's how I view Resolutions...you never know, you may succeed.  Even for a month, week or day.  It is something to offer the Christ Child...your successes and your failures.

..."I offer you all my prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day..."
~ Morning Offering Prayer

So, for Health & Well-Being I will continue to get better sleep (7 hours), drink more daily water (32 oz.+) and exercise for at least 20 minutes a day...
(and yes, eat healthier...I am sticking to my plan!)  Meal Planning should help a lot.

This is a partial Resolution for my 2016 year.  I hope to revisit this plan over and over and over again, and if I deem it necessary to change, alter or omit then that is my prerogative.

"I may not be there yet, but I am closer than I was yesterday."  ~ unknown

Because we all know that if we wait for perfect conditions, we would never get anything done.  How many times have you heard that...but still cease to move forward?

"Not all of us can do great things.  But we can do small things with great love."  ~ Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

And because we can learn so much from our beloved Mother Teresa:

"Yesterday is gone.  Tomorrow has not yet come.  We have only today.  Let us begin."  ~  Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

"So bring him incense, gold, and myrrh, Come, peasant, king, to own him, The King of kings salvation brings, Let loving hearts enthrone him.  This, this is Christ the King, Whom shepherds guard and angels sing:  Haste, haste to bring him laud, The babe, the son of Mary."  
~ William Chatterton Six, 1837-1898 (What Child is This)

What resolutions, or gifts, will you be bringing the Christ Child this year?




2 comments:

  1. Your resolve is infectious! Thank you for sharing your commitments this year. And I like the new look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Have a thought? Share it here...