"Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done unto me according to thy will." ~ Luke 1:38

Sunday, July 7, 2013

~ Pie...and not the kind you eat ~

Hanging above my stove...
Food comprises a very large portion of my day.  When I divide up my day, I see that a rather large part is spent having something related to food.  For example:

  • Planning Meals
  • Shopping for Meals
  • Preparing Meals
  • Cleaning up after Meals
24 Hour Pie - not the kind you eat!


Time spent in the kitchen and around food is just a part of my vocation as a mother and *manager of miracles (aka mom)*.

"The most astonishing thing about miracles is that they happen."  ~ G.K. Chesterton

Now that my children are older and assist me with the Food Category - I thought it would be helpful to keep a *journal* of what we eat and how we use our meals to celebrate...I've always tried to prepare healthy, nourishing meals, but my efforts have increased as the temptations and challenges in America rise!

“The trouble with always trying to preserve the health of the body is that it is so difficult to do without destroying the health of the mind.”  ~ G.K. Chesterton

For example:
  • pesticides
  • fast foods
  • sugar foods
  • sugar drinks (including juices)
  • processed foods
Americans are challenged as it relates to healthy eating & foods.  Many Americans are obese.  I read a statistic that claimed that 20 percent of all American meals are eaten in the car and that one in four eat some type of fast food every day.  Ugh.

There is nothing the matter with Americans except their ideals. The real American is all right; it is the ideal American who is all wrong.  ~ G.K. Chesterton

I try and teach my children to care for their bodies as they are the temple of the Holy Spirit.  They can actually honor God, by taking care of their bodies.

"To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it."  ~ G.K. Chesterton

I believe you can also experience spiritual growth and have a lot of opportunities to grow in virtue from "food".  Temperance!  Self-control.  Balance...(I speak from experience...because I'm still working on this one).

We should thank God for beer and burgundy by not drinking too much of them. ~ G. K. Chesterton

Food is also the basis surrounding a lot of social good - Family gatherings, Feast Days, Friends, Celebrations...even at funerals we share a meal together.  Food can give us comfort.

“Drink because you are happy, but never because you are miserable.”  ~ G. K. Chesterton

We should be able to experience pleasure from food.  Food is not an evil.  But gluttony is sinful.  Moderation is the key.
 
Everything in moderation, including moderation.  ~ Julia Child

What I teach my children (as was taught to me, by my mother):

  • Sit down for a proper meal - and don't eat in front of the TV.
  • Don't read, while eating, if someone else is sitting at the table.
  • Chew your food, slowly.
  •  Don't eat too fast.  Don't rush through a meal...savor.  Enjoy.
  • Don't talk with food in your mouth and chew with your mouth closed.
  • Put your fork down between bites...(or you'll poke your eye out!)
  • Have I missed anything?
All this said, without it being too obsessive...I'm going to try and keep (& share) my new Food Journal or:

~Menu of the Day ~

It's my feeble attempt to keep myself on track; to document what we are eating in hopes of keeping it healthy; to leave a recipe book for my children and to share dishes & meals to anyone that is interested or that has any tips or family recipes of their own to share with us.  Personally, I love to peruse through cookbooks.  I have more than I will ever use in my lifetime.  I read them like they are best selling novels and optimistically plan and hopefully wish that I will create great and healthy meals for my husband, children, family and friends.

I am no chef; but I can truthfully say that I can do better than just boil water.

"I believe in getting into hot water, it keeps you clean."  ~ G.K. Chesterton

Cookbooks inspire me. I'm still learning how to have fun in the kitchen.  Not only to create delicious and appealing meals, but to try new things and experiment without intimidation.  (I enjoy cooking with wine - and the saying goes "and sometimes I even put it in the food I'm cooking").  :o) 

I love Julia Child...years ago, I gifted Butterfly the French Chef DVD set.  We enjoy watching the French Chef (who was actually an American chef) and her cheerful and nonchalant way in the kitchen.  She makes me laugh!  Especially in her "To Roast a Chicken" tutorial. 
1345059546630
Photo:  PBS
 
Or when she actually used a blow torch on the David Letterman show!  Oh my; too funny!
Julia really knows how to have fun in the kitchen! 



I hope to give my family the gift of a healthy and enjoyable life...

“You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients.”  ~ Julia Child

 ...and since life consists of many meals, I want to do this thoughtfully.

“I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then, I just ate”   ~ Julia Child

Like I said, I am no expert...and I have much to learn!

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.” ~ Julia Child\
 
Cooking and sharing meals with my family, helps to bring my family together.

“...nothing is too much trouble if it turns out the way it should.”   ~ Julia Child

Bon Appetite!
 
~Menu of the Day ~ 
 


Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s always laughter and good red wine.
At least I’ve always found it so.
 Benedicamus Domino!”  ~ Hilaire Belloc


Linking up to Catholic Bloggers Network
2013 Monthly Link-up Blitz

4 comments:

  1. I'm quite good in the kitchen as my dog can testify. No one else seems to agree.

    When the doctor looked at my waist-line he said I should diet. I asked him what color I should dye it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky to have a waistline...It seems I've lost mine. I placed it somewhere, just can't find it.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, oh my...I was actually digging into a chocolate bar as I started reading this post, tsk, tsk.

    But thank you so much, anyway. I had a renewal of intentions while reading this post. Sometimes I inwardly complain that I spend too much time preparing meals when I should actually be thankful that I am able to do that for my family. Indeed, sharing meal is not just physiological, it is more importantly, spiritual.

    And I don't know how I could have missed your Food Journal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read that dark chocolate can actually be good for you...so dig in (in moderation, of course).

      You are so right, being thankful that we have food to prepare and also the spiritual aspect. We read in scripture a lot of occasions where Our Lord is sharing meals with people...clearly this has some significance.

      Jesus replied, “They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat.” Mt. 14:16

      Delete

Have a thought? Share it here...