"Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done unto me according to thy will." ~ Luke 1:38

Saturday, December 8, 2012

~ Peppermint Hot Chocolate ~

 
On the vigil of St. Nicholas' feast day...
 
 
 
 


The girls didn't need to be reminded to put their slippers out by the fireplace.

Conductor...needed reminding. :o)
The slippers were placed by the fireplace...in anticipation of *three golden coins*.


On Dec. 6th - the actual feast day:
After morning Mass, we hurried home to continue our St. Nicholas tradition...
Ta-da...


~ Peppermint Hot Chocolate ~

Here is our version:
(I don't usually measure...so these are approximation measurements)
(Also, either Hot Chocolate or Hot Cocoa...you can use chocolate bars or cocoa powder - whatever you have on hand).

1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 bar (2 oz) Ghirardelli 100% unsweetened cocoa (or Lindt 70% cocoa - Intense Dark), MELTED
          (you can substitute with 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder - I use Hershey's Special Dark
          100% cocoa)
dash of salt
1/3 cup hot water
5 cups milk
3/4 tsp. vanilla
sprinkle of cinnamon
1 peppermint candy cane, crushed
mini marshmallows (optional)

1.  Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in a large saucepan; stir in Hot water.
2.  Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils; boil and stir 2 minutes.
3.  Stir in milk and peppermint and heat.  DO NOT BOIL.
4.  Remove from heat; add vanilla and sprinkle with cinnamon.
5.  I use this fun tool to whip it up a bit, creating a light foamy layer on top.
6.  Drop in a few marshmallows (kids love them...me, not so much)

Mexican Hot Chocolate Mixer
Little Lamb added a little something extra this time...adding to the chocolaty richness (I opted out on this version).

My kids each received a bar of this Polish chocolate from our pastor, the morning of, to commemorate St. Nicholas!  (St. Nicholas was not Polish, but our pastor is).  :o)  This is good stuff!


We shared our peppermint Hot Chocolate with some freshly baked bread and fresh oranges from my father's orange tree...


Yum.  (mouth-watering yum)




Simple gifts...*bag of coins* and a crozier candy cane (for the hot chocolate).  Simple.
This year, I used dark peppermint chocolates for the coins.  Just three coins in each bag.  Perfect.


We printed out some coloring sheets from the St. Nicholas Center

Little Lamb's work:

Butterfly's work:
(I like how she added the patches on the children's clothes)
And wise-guy's Conductor's work:
(he was teasing me). :o)


And, Speaking of HOT CHOCOLATE...
Through several trails of wonderful and helpful blogs...I stumbled upon this Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies Recipe.  I am going to try baking them TODAY and (hopefully) share them on this Sweet blog.

I have to say...I am so thankful for all the beautiful and helpful blogs out there...so many wonderful ideas and lovely ladies that are willing to share.  St. Nicholas would be pleased.  :o)
 
St. Nicholas, Bishop of Myra
He's every body's patron saint.  :o)
 
 
Linked up to Sweet Boutiques:

4 comments:

  1. what a fun post! I think your children will always have fond memories of your traditions.
    I am not Catholic but I so enjoy learning more about the Saints and the symbolism. I did not know that St. Nicholas is everybody's patron saint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes; I think that is why we enjoy St. Nicholas so much...someone we can try to emulate (virtue wise).
      So glad for your visit; have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  2. The hot chocolate sounds wonderful! I wish it would get cold enough to NEED some! Thanks so much for sharing on Super Sweet Saturday.
    Steph
    swtboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My children love it when it gets cold & rainy (because they know I will most likely make some hot chocolate)...living in California, the rain is sparce. But, lately we have been having lots and lots of rain - kids are happy as we are getting our HC fill. Thank your for stopping by...so enjoying your Cookie Swap Hop!

      Delete

Have a thought? Share it here...