"Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done unto me according to thy will." ~ Luke 1:38

Friday, November 23, 2012

~ The Thankful Feast ~


LAST YEAR...
We had my husband's extended family, my family and some of our friends from our church for dinner.  Our home was full!  :o)  Nice!!

THIS YEAR...
I cooked for my little family of five.  So I had the luxury of snapping photos; no worries about time constraints and walking around in my pj's all day.  :o)  Nice!!

EVERY YEAR...
My husband and I try different recipes for our Thanksgiving Turkey.

Traditionally, we always cook a turkey, but we don't use the same recipe every year.
We may tweak some, but I can't remember ever cooking a turkey using the same recipe twice...not in the 22 years that we have been married.

ONE YEAR...
We came up with the idea of using bacon as a self-baster.  We covered the skin of the turkey with bacon; skewering the bacon to the entire oustside of the turkey.  Don't laugh.  It was delicious (but fattening).

RECENTLY...
I took on A Challenge of making one thing useful/beautiful in the Master Bedroom, and just last week I decided to take a NEW CHALLENGE...to try this new recipe and change my turkey-baking-ways.  I took Stephanie (over at Sweet Boutique), up on her challenge...and then some...I tried (basically) her entire Fabulous Menu.

Words cannot describe and my pictures do not do it justice...
But, Hands down, this was the all time favorite and BEST tasting bird (and Thanksgiving Dinner) in our family history.



I think we have found our tradition.  :o)

I have posted (3 sub-posts) on each of the dishes that I tried, so as not to have such a terribly long post...Here is the Menu:  (click on dish to find pictured posts)

~ Roasted Turkey ~

~ Apple Pie ~

~ Egg Nog & Hot Apple Cider ~

The calm, after the storm
My table decorations were very simple this year.  I used fresh Cuties California Mandarins surrounding a 3-wick candle (which I actually removed to make way for all the food) and placed it on the Lazy Susan.  My topaz harvest linen with burgandy napkins.  Super simple.


2 comments:

  1. I don't even know what to say. That may be the biggest complement I have ever gotten. THANK YOU. I am going to go call my BFF now and share this with her!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing...my children really loved everything (as did my husband and I)! Recipes & favorite things definitely worth keeping in this here *family journal*.

      Delete

Have a thought? Share it here...